The following is a news release and photos from the Madison Fire Department.
At 3:44 p.m. on Sunday, the Madison Fire Department responded to an attic fire at 4292 South 1100 East near Rexburg.
Upon arrival, smoke was seen coming out of the soffits. Firefighters got all occupants to exit the house and then proceeded with offensive firefighting tactics. Firefighters gained access to the attic from the interior of the house and suppressed the fire.
Salvage covers were used very successfully inside the house to prevent extensive damage to contents. The fire was suppressed before breaching the exterior of the roof.
The Madison Fire Department sent two engines, two water tenders, two command vehicles and an ambulance. Deputies from the Madison County Sheriff’s Office also provided assistance. There were 18 personnel working the fire scene.
“With the wind gusting as much as it was this afternoon, we’re thankful the homeowners didn’t open up windows and doors,” said Dale Pickering, Division Chief of Madison Fire Department. “The additional wind would have caused the fire to quickly grow. Homeowners used multiple fire extinguishers to lessen the impact of the fire.”
The entire attic and roof structure received severe damage, but efforts to keep the fire from spreading further and to the inside of the house were successful. The loss is estimated to be near $225,000.
The cause of the fire appears to have been an electrical problem in a bathroom fan.
No injuries were reported.
This is the sixth structure fire Madison Fire Department has responded to in the last 12 days.
Division Chief Pickering encourages homeowners to practice fire safety, especially during the Thanksgiving holiday. Please visit our website for home safety fire tips under the Links section of www.fdmadison.org.
The post Fire causes $225,000 in damages to home near Rexburg appeared first on East Idaho News.